SLSGB Inland Waters Lifeguard
To provide a national qualification that provides the knowledge, understanding and practical skills required by individuals that may, as a part of their role as a Lifeguard , work in, on or near inland waters.
- Minimum of 16 years of age on the date of assessment.
- Minimum Guided Learning Hours - 40.
- Be able to swim 400 metres in eight minutes.
24 months from the date of the assessment, with the option of taking a proficiency test prior to the expiry date, and every twelve months thereafter.
Fitness Test & Releases
Lifeguard Skills, Knowledge & Rescue
1. Hazards of the Water Environment
- Water dynamics
- Hydraulic features
- Canals and locks
- Environmental hazards
- Pollutants and contaminants
2. Climatic Conditions
3. Boats and Vessels
4. Personal Protective Equipment and Zoning
5. Safety Measures when working near water
6. An awareness of physiological effects of entering cold water
7. Rescue Options
8. Public Rescue Equipment
- Candidates MUST complete Section 1 (Fitness & Releases) before completing Section 2 (Lifeguard Skills, Knowledge and Rescue).
- Numbers 1 - 8 can be contested as a separate award (SLSGB Inland Waters Safety).
- When the award is renewed, the candidate may complete the assessment one month prior to the expiry date of the existing competency. In this case the period of new competency will remain valid for a maximum of 13 months.