SLSGB Beach Lifeguard
To provide a national qualification that meets international standards for professional lifeguarding for a Lifeguard normally operating in a non-surf environment.
- Minimum of 16 years of age on the date of assessment.
- Minimum Guided Learning Hours – 40 hours prior to assessment.
- Be able to swim 400 metres in eight minutes.
- 200 metres run, 200 metres swim, 200 metres run within eight minutes (this time can be increased at the discretion of the Assessor and will be subject to the conditions on the day).
24 months from the date of the assessment, with the option of taking a Lifeguard proficiency test prior to the expiry date and every 12 months thereafter to maintain status.
1. Fitness Test & Releases
Complete a timed swim of 400 metres over a measured course in a pool of not less than 25 metres in length using a front stroke. A time of eight minutes is accepted as the maximum time permitted for the swim.• 200 metres run, 200 metres swim, 200 metres run within eight minutes (this time can be increased at the discretion of the Assessor and will be subject to the conditions on the day).
2. Lifeguard Skills, Knowledge & Rescue
3. Life Support
4. First Aid
- Candidates MUST complete Section 1 (Fitness & Releases) before completing Section 2 (Lifeguard Skills, Knowledge & Rescue).
- When the award is renewed, the candidate may complete the assessment one month prior to the expiry date of the existing competency. In this case the period of new competency will remain valid for a maximum of 13 months.